History of Dean Memorial Airport
Mr. Godston spent nearly 7 years in the military as a pilot in the Air Force and National Guard. Retired from Pratt & Whitney, an aircraft engine manufacturer, at the end of 1992 and has over 50 years in aviation and engineering. He has been actively involved with educating students at the elementary, junior, senior high school, and adult levels on the joys of flying; holding positions on the Haverhill Airport Commission, Mt. Lakes Water Committee, and the Town Planning Board.
....In 1945, local residents Frank R. and Lizzie N. Dean donated about 104 acres of their prime farmland in North Haverhill to the Town of Haverhill with the only stipulation being that this land be developed into and maintained as an airfield named in memory of them.
....In 1946, a grass strip of 1700 feet was prepared from the southeast to the northwest and a flying club of local aviators was formed. An ordinance to protect the approaches and runway was enacted in 1947 which is still valid and up to date. Two aviators purchased an airplane and built a small hangar in 1946 which still houses the airplane and is flown some 50 years later.
....In 1968, ten more acres were acquired from Frank R. Dean and a new paved runway, 2,500 feet in length, running essentially north and south was constructed. An underground fuel tank was installed and the old grass strip was abandoned.
....In the mid 70's, an air freight company settled in at the airport and installed runway lighting. Unfortunately, the air freight company endeavor was very short lived and general aviation again became the major use for the airport.
....The late 80's saw a lighted windsock installed and a radio-controlled switch added to permit the runway lights to be pilot activated...a much more cost efficient for night operations.
....In the 90's the runway was repaved, the old fuel tank removed, and water drainage system installed on both sides
.... Several years ago a new 4,000 gallon underground fuel dispensing system was installed. Taxiway paving was done from the runway turn-off to the fuel dispensing system for year-round use. And private individuals have built four new hangars: a five-airplane hangar, a two-airplane hangar, and two single-airplane hangars.
....The current airport usage income consists of agricultural and hangar leases, aircraft tie-down fees and fuel dispensing. This along with taxes from the private four hangars and the farmhouse rent offsets most of the operational costs to the town.
....Approximately 4,000 takeoffs and landings are made each year with 12 general aviation aircraft based at the Airport. Each year an Airport Awareness day is held which has many local area families attend and an EAA Young Eagles Rally is held. Also pilots based at the airport fly youngsters to become a Young Eagle throughout the year╔only on nice days.
....To date over 700 youngsters have become Young Eagles at the airport.
....A Dean Memorial Aviation Scholarship Fund was established in 2000 for youngsters graduating from high schools in the local area to further their education in an aviation related fields╔and there are over 300. An anonymous donor has provided over $25,000 of the nearly $40,000 in the Scholarship Fund. For more information on this please contact me, Joel Godston, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
╔.An updated Master Plan for the airport is complete. This report identifies, among other things, plans for the future╔..go look at it!
..Other types of recreation enjoyed at the Airport include: kite flying, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, picnics, air shows, glider flying, powered parachute flying, ultralight aircraft flying and sometimes just watching and dreaming..... (More History)