Cottage Hospital History
COTTAGE HOSPITAL has a history that is rich in giving. Since its beginning in 1903, the Hospital has been generously supported by a commitment from the people in its community.
Cottage Hospital began operation in what was known as the Cobleigh Tavern, built in 1795 at today's junction of Routes 10 and 135 in Woodsville.
The new hospital on Swiftwater Road was dedicated in 1960. It housed 32 beds and more advanced ancillary facilities.
In 1970, a capital campaign raised $350,000 to build the Emergency department and patient room wing.
The community, once again, responded in 1985, to the hospital's needs by making possible the Currier Wing, with two state-of-the-art operating rooms, special care unit, recovery room and central sterile supply rooms. Building funds in excess of $675,000 were raised.
During 1991, a $300,000 capital campaign helped expand the radiology department.
Cottage Hospital began another period of growth in 1992, welcoming many new physicians and services. Construction of the hospitals medical office building was completed this year, providing four private suites for doctors offices.
The hospital acquired its own CT Scan machine in 1994.
In 1997, the hospital completed construction of the Muffin Lyons Memorial Outpatient Center, a renovation/addition project in memory of Dr. Laurel Lyons. Muffin, as she preferred to be called, was a well-known and much-loved physician who cared for many in the community for 17 years.
This $800,000 construction project was made possible by more than 1,000 donors which included former patients, hospital employees, medical staff, family and friends. The project expanded the emergency department, walk-in clinic, and provided much needed outpatient space for our patients.
In the year 2000, the hospital added The Cottage Hospital Rehabilitation Center. This new section of the building brings all of Cottage Hospitals rehabilitation services back to the Cottage Hospital campus, providing added convenience for patients, staff and visitors. The new addition houses occupational therapy, physical therapy, Cottage Orthopedics, neurology, physiatry and more.
Maryanne Aldrich - Director - Community Relations & Fund Development